Little Blue Heron

Little Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron at Shark Valley in the Everglades this past January

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Forward

Spring has arrived, though technically we still have a week of winter left. The small bit of open water at Lake Minsi grew steadily this week with all of the rain we got, and along with Echo Lake was filled with waterfowl- Hooded and Common Mergansers, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, American Wigeon, Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, Ring-necked Duck, Green-winged Teal, Pied-billed and Horned Grebes and of course many Mallard and Canada Geese. Also during the torrential downpour on Thursday there were a pair of adult Bald Eagles (one was standing on the ice, something I don't see them do too often) and despite the rain I heard my first of the year Red-winged Blackbirds singing, Song Sparrows, Fish Crows and Common Grackles flying around. I've also been hearing Spring Peepers this week, and reading reports of Spotted and Jefferson's Salamanders, Wood Frogs and other herps being seen though I haven't had the chance to get out and look for them yet this year. I replaced my camera, but am still waiting to acquire a lens for it. Hopefully I'll have it before things pick up and get too hectic bird-wise. Its about that time now, which seems to come earlier and earlier every year, when it becomes harder and harder for me to sleep due to the fact that I know there are millions of birds migrating overhead every night. Its that same zugenruhe-induced insomnia (one of my favorite words, though I can't ever remember how to spell it) that strikes every year. Its only a matter of time before the birds are back and singing, and I can start slapping some bands on those pesky Golden-wingeds again. Until then I'll just have to keep busy with salamanders, sparrows and ducks.

No comments: